Technical Business Analyst
Job Title : Technical Business Analyst
Location: 1305 E. Walnut Des Moines IA – Hybrid
Will be onsite for the first 30 days before being allowed to work fully remote.
Duration: 6 Months
Due to the growing demand for IT systems and solutions, the Iowa Department of Health and Human Services is seeking an experienced IT Business Analyst to join our team in supporting the implementation and management of various software development projects. The successful candidate will have a strong background in Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) methodologies and Agile frameworks such as Scrum and Kanban. Experience with project management tools like Azure DevOps or JIRA is highly desirable. As a Business Analyst, you will work closely with cross-functional teams to ensure successful project delivery and alignment with the organization’s strategic objectives.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to gather, analyze, and document business requirements for new software initiatives or enhancements to existing applications.
- Act as a liaison between business units, development teams, and management, to ensure seamless communication and project execution.
- Develop a deep understanding of HHS business processes, applications, and systems to facilitate the implementation of effective solutions.
- Create and maintain project artifacts such as business requirement documents, user stories, use cases, workflow diagrams, and test plans.
- Participate in Agile ceremonies, including sprint planning, daily stand-ups, sprint reviews, and retrospectives, to ensure continuous improvement in project delivery.
- Utilize project management tools such as Azure DevOps, Microsoft Project, and Power BI to create user stories, track and monitor project progress, manage tasks, and report on project status to stakeholders.
- Assist in the development and implementation of user acceptance testing (UAT) strategies, ensuring that solutions meet business requirements and expectations.
- Support change management efforts by facilitating user demos/training, documenting processes, and providing guidance on the adoption of new processes, systems, and features.
- Continuously identify opportunities for process improvements and provide recommendations for enhancing efficiency and effectiveness.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, Information Technology, Computer Science, or a related field, and/or a combination of education/certification and work experience.
- A minimum 6 years of experience as a Business Analyst and/or Project Manager, with a preferred focus on SDLC and Agile methodologies.
- Ability to analyze business strategies and user needs, document specifications, and translate business objectives into proper system requirements and specifications.
- Working knowledge of Agile frameworks such as Scrum and Kanban, and familiarity with Agile project management tools like Azure DevOps or JIRA.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Project, and Visio.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work effectively with diverse teams and stakeholders at various levels of the organization.
- Guide stakeholders through business case development for new applications/functionality, including cost benefit analysis, risks and issues, and impact analysis.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with a keen attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to balance multiple priorities and manage time effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Familiarity with state government operations and processes is a large plus.